Monday, July 13, 2009

Lightning Strikes

I certainly hope that the adage lightning never strikes in the same place twice is right! On Saturday, thunder was rumbling in the distance slowly getting a bit louder, but nothing major seemed to be brewing.

Wrong.

I was outside on the porch and had just picked up one of Sam's toys and walked over to put it in his basket when a bolt of lightning hit about 30 to 50 feet away from the cabin. It seemed as if it was about 5 feet from the cabin! There was no zzssstt noise before, just totally white light and the loudest CRACK! I have ever heard all around me and at the exact same time. The world was white and deafening. Then I felt this very strange...thing, power...I don't know what to call it, pulse against my body. It didn't last long but it was a physical pushing feeling from something I could not see. It made my heart race and I felt like I couldn't breathe.

Kevin says it was something like shock waves fom the power of the lightning. Whatever it was, I hope I never feel it again. That's about the closest you can be to being struck by lightning I think. It was a horrible, scary feeling.

Naturally, there was damage in the cabin from it: 2 TV's, my computer monitor is now yellow, printer, DVD/VCR & a ceiling fan/light. I thought it killed my humming birds too but they're okay. Just must have been hiding for awhile.

I may have brain damage, not sure yet. :-)

2 comments:

  1. That's scary!! I'm glad you didn't get hurt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my God your lucky - Thank God you werent hit! We had a a couple kids down here 2 or 3 yrs ago get hit - it hit the oldest boy and went down through the ground and hit the boy next to him which was probably I think about 5 ft from where he was. Killed the one boy and critically injured his brother - Then my cousin Kathys daughter was hit when she was little in the chest by lightning but she survived.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive